THE ENEMY MCQs CLASS-12 VISTAS ENGLISH
MUST WATCH THIS VIDEO
THE ENEMY -Pearl S. Buck
1. The enemy is written in the background of –
A. Cold war
B. World War
C. Liberation War
D. Korean War
2. “The enemy is a story of conflict between duties”. The two duties are –
A. Patriot & Businessman
B. Goldsmith & Father
C. Patriot & Husband
D. Patriot & Doctor
3. “Those islands yonder they are the stepping stones to the future for Japan”. Who said these lines
A. Dr Sadao Hoki
B. Prisoner of War
C. Father of Sadao
D. Wife of Sadao
4. “Who can limit our future? It depends on what we make it”. This idea shows –
*Lines of Sadao’s father
5. House of Sadao Hoki was built on-
A. south seas
B. Spot of the Japanese coast
6. The American landlady had once helped Sadao how?
A. she nursed him through influenza
B. she gave him food for free
C. she ironed his clothes
D. allowed him to stay for free
7. The chief concern of Sadao’s father was-
A. Sadao’s marriage
B. Sadao’s livelihood
C. Sadao’s life
D. Sadao’s education
8. At what age Sadao was sent to America to learn surgery & medicine?
9. “His father who never joked or played with him but spent infinite pains upon him”. Who is being referred to as father here?
B. Sadao’s father
C. P.O.W’s father
D. Wife’s father
10. Select the option that displays a cause-effect set.
|Sadao was sent to America for education||He became famous as a surgeon|
|His father wanted him to serve the country in World war||Sadao became an Army General|
|His father sent him to Canada||He became a rich businessman|
|Sadao was sent to America for education||He became famous as a surgeon as well as a scientist|
11. What was special about Sadao’s discovery?
A. It would render wounds entirely clean
B. It would help Japan in World War
C. He discovered a bio-weapon
D. It would help in treating Japanese Encephalitis
12. Why was Sadao not sent abroad with the troops?
A. He was perfecting his discovery
B. General might need an operation
C. He had close contacts and had requested not to sent him abroad
D. Both A & B
13. The antonym of ‘creeping’ is-
B. Bare feet
14. Identify the incorrect one
A. Hana was Sadao’s wife
B. He had met Hana in Japan
C. He waited to fall in love with her until he was sure that she was Japanese
D. His father would never have received her unless she had been pure in her race
*He met Hana in America
15. ‘A loose outer garment worn over the kimono’
16. Sadao met Hana at-
C. Professor Harley’s house
*They had two children
17. Which of the following is the synonym for affectionately-
18. “What shall we do with this man?” who muttered these lines?
19. What can we infer from Sadao’s family in the chapter?
A. Strictly traditional
B. Highly modern
C. Liberal & educated
D. Modern in thinking but traditional
*Marriage of Sadao & Hana had been arranged in old Japanese way
20. ‘Something black come out of the mists’ . What came out of the mists?
C. A man
D. Assassins of the General
21. Who said, “The best thing we could do would be to put him back in the sea” ?
C. Sadao’s father
*Hana’s response “Yes, undoubtedly that would be the best” shows that she is compatible
22. “Who is that”? Who is being referred to as-
B. Prisoner of War
C. Professor’s wife
23. Sadao came back from America at the age-
24. “The sand on one side of him had already a stain of red soaking through” indicates that the P.O.W was-
A. Fit & Active
D. He was having dinner
25. “But neither of them moved” shows which of their quality (Hana & Sadao):
D. Hatred towards P.O.W
26. Wet rags of garments means-
A. Garbage of garments
B. Pile of garments
C. Wet & Torn dress
D. Stack of torn dresses
27. The injured man was an-
* He was a sailor from US Navy & a Prisoner of War
28. “All Americans are my enemy”. Why Sadao treated that P.OW. if americans are his enemy?
A. He was young
B. He was wounded
C. Hana insisted him
D. He was paid by American army
29. P.O.W was rested in whose bedroom?
A. Children’s bedroom
B. Sadao’s bedroom
C. Servants bedroom
D. Sadao’s father bedroom
Irony- An American was rested in the bedroom of a true japanese
30. “The question is whether he will not die anyway” means-
Ans: Even if the American was operated upon and saved, he would die at the hands of the Japanese army.
31. Saw her face the colour of sulphur means-
Ans: Her face became pale (yellow) like sulphur
32. “It will be better for her to empty her stomach” is used in which context
A. Hana ate over at the dinner table
B. Yumi was having stomach ache
C. Hana had never seen an operation so had a feeling of vomit
D. Hana was sick
33. What can we infer about General Takima from Hana’s thoughts?
A. He was very valiant & human of very good nature
B. He was very kind , never ill treated anyone
C. Very cruel, even he used to beat his wife
D. Decent person
No one talked about it anymore as he had won the war in Manchuria
34. ‘Ignorance of the human body is the surgeon’s cardinal sin’. Who asserted these words?
A. Sadao’s father
B. Sadao’s professor
C. Hana’s Mother
D. General Takima
Professor of Anatomy- “To operate without as complete knowledge of the body as if you had made it anything less than that is murder”
35. Dr. Sadao mutters the word ‘my friend’ while treating the American P.O.W. in the light of the circumstances, we can say that this was
36. The bullet was near the ______ of P.O.W.
D. Spinal cord
37. “This man will live inspite of all”. Who said these lines
B. General Takima
38. “ I do not know myself what I shall do with you” suggests–
A. Sadao was carefree
B. Sadao was very concerned about the P.O.W
C. Hana was trying to comfort the young boy
D. Sadao was in dilemma
39. “Americans are our enemies but I have been trained not to let a man die if I can help it” suggests which quality of Sadao?
D. Love for profession
40. What was the contribution of Gardener to the Sadao family?
A. He helped them in tough times
B. He made one of the finest moss garden for Sadao’s father
C. Gardener served them without any payment
*Gardener would not let waste a drop of blood as it is the best of fertilisers
41. “That young master is so proud of his skill to save life that he saves any life”. Who said these lines
42. What can we infer about Yumi from the text?
A. Patriotic, Love for children & loyalty to the masters
B. Inhuman , loyalty, hatred for children
D. Compatible & compassionate
“What will be their fate if their father is condemned as a trator”- Yumi
43. What happened on the seventh day?
A. Servants left together the house
B. Hana got sick
C. Prisoner departed from Sadao’s home
D. Arrival of the messenger to inform Dr Sadao that he had been called to the palace because a general was in pain
E. Both A & D
44.“ Why are we different from other Japanese?” Who said these lines.
45. “Don’t thank me too early’’. Why Sadao say such cold lines to Tom?
A. He was about to handle him to the Police & Army
B. Tom was not cured yet
C. Tom insulted him
D. Sadao was in bad mood as the servants had left
46. General Takima studied at-
A. Tokyo University
B. Princeton University
47. “Then certainly I can allow nothing to happen to you” suggest that general was-
C. Well-wisher of Sadao
* Also, “I thought of nothing but myself , I forgot my promise to you” shows how selfish he was
48. Who has an unusual sense of humour?
A. Prisoner of War
D. General Takima
Also, he had his own private assasins which suggest how he dealt with those who opposed him
49. “I’m not used to waiting for permission”. Who is ‘I’ in these lines?
A. General’s messenger
C. General Takima
50. Sadao’s servants leave his house, but none of them betrays the secret of the American P.O.W. Select the option that explains this.
A. The servants truly believed that they must not be a part of the household that sheltered a prisoner of war, but their love and loyalty to Sadao made them keep the secret safe.
B. The servants knew that any information about the P.O.W would result in punishment for them and their families which is why they revealed nothing.
C. The servants were superstitious and scared with a white man on the premises and consequently, chose to remove themselves and stay silent about the situation.
D. The servants did not want to incur the wrath of Dr. Sadao and lose their jobs, therefore they chose to exit instead, and return later.
51. “I guess if all Japs were like you there wouldn’t have been a war”. Who is ‘You’ in these lines?
52. Why did Sadao arrange a boat & asked Tom to live in a nearby island?
A. Korean Fishing boat pass by the island and Tom could escape
B. He had a plan to kill Tom
C. Assasins of Takima were on that island
D. It was a plan to hand Tom to the police
53. “Though she was so modern,still she did not eat with him.” Who is ‘she’ referred to here?
B. General’s wife
D. Tom’s wife
*Yumi was there to get a sight of the children
54. Why was Sadao searching the spot black in the sky at night?
A. He was also practising cosmology
B. He loved to watch the black sky
C. Black spot was an indication that the P.O.W has escaped from the near island
D. He was superstitious
55. Who were full of prejudices in the story?
56. “I wonder why I could not kill him?” Who is
‘I’ here ?
57. The central idea of ‘The enemy’ is:
A. Patriotism is supreme
B. Commitment to your work
C. Humanity is greater than all other things
D. Love for traditional values
The chapter is about war between US & Japan
58. Why did Dr become irritable and impatient with his patient?
A. Because he was talking too much
B. Dr. was in hurry
C. He couldn’t leave the patient to help his distressed wife
D. He was too young
59. Why did Hana wash the wounded man herself?
A. Servant refused to wash the American
B. She was too caring for patients
C. Sadao had instructed her
D. Servants were on leave
60. What was General’s plan for American soldier?
A. He wanted him to get arrested
B. Will get information from him for his surgery
C. Will get him assassinated by his private assassins
D. American soldier to be handed to U.S. Navy
IMPORTANT WORD MEANINGS: A QUICK GO THROUGH
1. Beachcomber- a person who walks along a beach looking for valuable items
2. muttered- say something in a low voice
3. Stanch- stop (flow of blood)
4. Motionless- not moving
5. Leaned-bent forward
6. Staggered- to walk with difficulty
9. Solemn- serious
10. Stupor- Unconscious state
11. Pallor- pale colouring of the face
12. Menace- a danger or threat
13. Tokonoma alcove- part of the room where things are displayed
14. Groan- moan
15. Crouched-to bend your legs and body so that you are close to the ground
16. Petiously- Arousing pity
17. Quivered-to shake slightly
18. Gasp-to take a sudden loud breath with your mouth open when you are in pain
19. Assuage- to make an unpleasant feeling less strong
20. Gaily- happily
21. Gaunt- very thin because of hunger, illness
22. Repulsive-that causes a strong feeling of disgust
Hope you find this helpful do subscribe to my channel