KEEPING QUIET -PABLO NERUDA
1. The poem “Keeping Quiet” is written by-
A. Stephen Spender
B. Kamala Das
C. Anees Jung
D. Pablo Neruda
* Real Name – Neftali Ricardo Reyes Basoalta
2. The central theme of the poem ‘Keeping Quiet’ –
A. Old age & decay
B. Plight of slum children
C. Introspection & Mutual understanding among humans
D. Rush and activity
Also, silence & stillness
3. What does the poet mean by ‘count to twelve’?
A. Count twelve signs which measure hours on the clock
B. Count twelve numbers
C. Count twelve fruits
Also, 12 months in a year
4. Which activity does the poet want us to stop?
A. Speaking in any language
B. Moving arms
C. Counting to twelve
D. Both A & B
5. ‘We will all keep still’ means –
A. Keep Quiet with no movement
B. To keep the thoughts running in mind
C. Think about slum children
D. Stop wars
6. Which of the following has upset the poet?
A. Keeping Quiet
C. Too much activity & Rush
D. Mutual understanding
7. “It would be an exotic moment.” What kind of moment is referred to here?
A. Moment of war & destruction
B. Moment of quietude
C. Moment of salt gathering
D. Moment of total inactivity
8. According to the poet how would we feel during the quiet moment?
A. Extreme rush
B. Feeling of mutual understanding
D. B & C
9. What would fishermen do while keeping quiet?
A. He would do fishing
B. Look at his hands
C. Put on clean clothes
D. He would stop fishing
This way he would not harm the whales in the sea
10. The man gathering salt would look at his ____ hands.
- By Ceasing his activity he would find time to look at his hurt hands
11. What kind of wars are referred to in the poem?
A. Wars against each other
B. Civil war happened in America
C. Wars against environment fought with poisonous gases & firearms
D. War of words & pen
12. “Victory with no survivors means
A. everybody will die
B. no survivors to enjoy victory
C. a person who can cope with difficulty
D. victory you cannot enjoy
13. Who would put on clean clothes and walk about with their brothers in the shade?
C. People who prepare wars
D. Salt gatherer
- Those who prepare wars – Warmonger
- While keeping quiet those who wage wars would have nothing to do , they would walk with their fellow brothers in the shade of trees
14. Which of the following phrase suggest brotherhood in the poem?
A. And not move our arms much
B. Exotic moment
C. Walkabout with their brothers
D. No truck with death
* Suggests the feeling of brotherhood in absence of wars.
15. Identify the incorrect statement from the poem.
A. Poet’s attitude is positive
B. Speaking in different languages is the root cause of misunderstanding among humans
C. Poet advocates total inactivity
D. Poet want us to take some rest than keep on moving all the time , doing one thing or the other
16. What does Pablo Neruda want to suggest by saying that he wants “No truck with death” ?
A. He wants men should be passive & start thinking of death
B. Count to twelve & keep quiet
C. Put on clean clothes and walk in the shades
D. He does not want men to be passive and start thinking of death
*To have no truck with something – refusing /unwilling to accept any idea
*In other words, he wants to clarify that silence does not mean a complete association wih death
17. What according to the poet is the main cause of our sadness?
A. Not understanding ourselves , and continue to threaten our lives with death
B. Not counting to twelve
C. Not looking at our hands
D. Total inactivity
*Silence & Stillness can remove this sadness and can make us cheerful
18. What symbol from Nature does the poet invoke which can teach us ?
D. Salt gatherer
- Earth can teach us basic art of living that things that seem to be dead prove to be alive later.
- There can be life under apparent stillness , even in stillness there is an activity of introspection.
- Also, germinating of a seed is an example to life under apparent stillness
19. The poetic device used in ‘sudden strangeness’ is –
20. The antonym of ‘exotic’ is –
A. Very different
Exotic – very different or strange
21. What does the poet mean by ‘engines’?
A. Engine of Peace
B. Power production
C. Automobiles or machines
D. Engine of silence
22. Find the synonym of eccentricity used in the poem-
23. “If we were not so single minded” . We is referred to –
C. Fishermen & Salt gatherer
D. Human beings
24. Why does the poet want us to do nothing for once?
A. To become inactive & dead
B. Introspect & analyse our actions & deeds
C. To be at peace
D. Both B & C
25. ‘Those who prepare green wars”. Whom does “Those” refer to?
A. Politicians, statesmen, scientists
B. Politicians, people, scientists
C. Statesmen, scientists, people
D. Statesmen, people, scientists
26. Green wars in the poem refers to –
A. wars done wearing green clothes
B. wars with a green signal
C. harm caused by men to environment
D. war against mankind
27. What ideal situation is the poet suggesting?
A. happy people walking hand in hand
B. people relaxing under shady trees
C. people with peace and change in one’s perspective
D. all of the above
28. What is “life “all about
A. An ongoing process
B. to keep moving
C. not doing anything
D. to think intensively
29. ‘Keeping Quiet’ uses fishermen to symbolize man’s
A. persistent pollution of the natural environment.
B. rapid degradation of human values.
C. limitless exploitation of natural resources.
D. constant participation in acts of terror.
30. Which of the following is the antonym of movement?
31. “And not move our arms so much.” Identify the pun
Ans: Arms- not move hands, stop movement
Arms- armaments ,weaponry
32. The last line of the poem is
A. and later proves to be alive
B. life is what it is about
C. I want no truck with death
D. and you keep quiet and I will go
33. “In the shade”. Identify the poetic device
*just as shade protects us from the harsh sun, we will protect and shelter each other as brothers, thus live in peace and harmony
34. Which of these poetic devices is used in ‘cold sea’?
A. Transferred Epithet
*Cold sea denotes coldness of fishermen who is not bothered about protection of sea life & nature
35. Fisherman not harming whales means
A. not causing extinction of whales
B. not disturbing balance of nature
C. not going for fishing
D. not disturbing the sea
Hope you find this helpful do subscribe to my channel